Wallichii and Stellata& SAE's

Dave Whittaker wrote:

>SAEs will eat a Mayaca species which I keep. I believe
>someone re-classified it as Rotala sp. "Nanjenshan". I'd
>be surprised were they not to molest R. wallachii as well.
>They tear at my hygro leaves, but don't seem to bother
>the Eusteralis stellata. Both plants are a real challenge
>as a previous poster has mentioned.

I haven't had Euseralis in a long time, so I can't remember.  But I grow R.
wallachii regularly, and have SAE's in every tank.  They have never touched
_healthy_ R. wallachii, but I have seen them eat it down to the stem if it
starts to go down hill at all.  I think this is the same sort of behavior
that has occasionally given snails a bad name.  I think that many soft
leaved plants become more palatable when they have gone around the bend a
bit. (like an over-ripe banana attracting fruit flies)

Karen