Re: Shrimp and the Sump

<snip>Here's the strange one:  I've got a wet/dry filtration setup with
overflow and sump.  The Ammano shrimp head for the overflow whenever they
are unsettled, such as when I perform a 50% water-change.

<snip>I've had to rescue several from the behind-the-tank
chanber, and on more than one occasion from the sump itself (don't ask me
how they get past the bio-balls).  I've screened off the overflow as muchas
I dare.- ---------------------------------------------michael rubin

Michael,

I have had the same problem with my shrimp "heading off" into the overflow.
I usually find all the small ones in the sump, somehow manuvering pass the
bio-balls.  As they grow larger though, they no longer fit pass the
overflow, and this problem diminishes.  It's a real pain to get them out of
the sump though.  Usually I have to drain the sump below the bio-balls so
they don't crawl back up there.
I have found that my shrimp seem to only end up in the sump after the lights
go out.  They must either be swimming around and get sucked in, or they do
more exploring higher up at night.

Michael Laflamme
spicolte at hotmail_com