Rotting japanese spatterdock

I don't know what to do about this plant. It's a very beautiful plant but
it's not doing well with us. We had it in a plastic container in a 29 gallon
with some garden soil,gravel and sand. It started rotting so I cut off the
rotting part and three away the plastic container and all it's contents. Then
I put it into the 10 gallon with albino cories. The once "green" rhizome is
now rotting. I put it into a quart jar. I am unsure what to do next. There
are three small but green nice leaves and one that will open soon. The leaves
are nice. I don't want to throw away this plant if I can salvage it. I read
on the Krib that it does often get rotten.

Also, one of the albino cories has a frayed top fin today. I am thinking it
could be from the rotting j. spatterdock causing high nitrates.
Unfortunately, the Aquarium Pharm Master's test kit didn't have a Nitrate
test so I don't know what it is. All water parameters are normal: 0
nitrites/ammonia, ph 6 this morning.