Re: bristle nose sexing

>Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 17:52:08 +0200 (EET)
>From: Liisa Sarakontu <lsarakon at cc_hut.fi>
>Subject: Re: bristle nose plecos

>There are other ways to sex young bristlenoses too: wait until they are
>sucking the front glass:  Males have wider heads and wider mouths.
>Females have bigger bellies, less blunt noses and narrower mouths.  Males
>have sturdier and more spiky first rays of pectoral fins.  That mouth
>width is often easy to see even when the fish is just 3 cm long.  (Tomasz
>Nidecki taught this to me when he visited me few years ago, thanks Tonid!)

Liisa, I have 2 temminckiis and am anxious to know if I have a couple.
They are clearly different in shape but I can't tell the difference yet
because one of 4 cm has a wide mouth, but also a bigger bellie and a big head,
compared to the other one. It's also beginning to develop some very tiny
bristles. Other one is 3 cm and has  clearly a slimmer head but a more round
mouth. Pectoral fin rays are about the same, how many rays should be spiky?
Thanks for your advise.

Best regards,
Hugo Hoekstra