Re: bristle nose sexing

>Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:51:25 +0200 (EET)
>From: Liisa Sarakontu <lsarakon at cc_hut.fi>
>Subject: Re: Bristlenose sexing

>> I have 2 temminckiis
>First, are you 100 % sure that they are of same species?

Up till now... but if you say that there are species which are impossible
to tell apart without intensive study... they could ofcourse be different
species.

>Are they from same litter, or at least from the same breeder?

No, I bought them from different pet shops at different times to prevent
inbreeding. :/

>There are over 50 Ancistrus species, and many of them are nearly impossible
>to tell apart. To make things more difficult, color, size and beard size and
>shape vary a lot inside a species too, especially in the "common
>bristlenose", which is widely bred in numerous countries

Temminckii was the species according to the petshop where I bought one.
Whether that is the true species or not, it's certainly common because they
are cheap (4 US$, 2 cm) and offered in high quantities so they are not of a
rare species. I checked a L-number book with photo's and the only specie which
looked like them was the ... Ancistrus temminckii.

>As the whole genus Ancistrus is under reclassification now by Swiss Sonia
>Muller, it is best not to use any certain sci names from the dark
>brownish, light-spotted species until she has figured out who is who.

>> because one of 4 cm has a wide mouth, but also a bigger bellie and a
>> big head, compared to the other one. It's also beginning to develop
>> some very tiny bristles.

>Sounds like a male, but could also be a female from a species where girls
>have beard too.

>> Other one is 3 cm and has  clearly a slimmer head but a more round mouth.

>Could be a female but could also be just younger and less fat.

I hope so. They grow very fast, one is already twice as big as when I bought
him about 6 months ago. And they are certainly great algae eaters, busy almost
all day, the only thing they don't eat is the green 'spot' algae on the glass,
I'd have to use a razor to get rid of that.
Anyway thanks for the advise.

Best regards,
Hugo Hoekstra