schizoid tank

I'm new to the list.  I've been raising fish for 30 and killing plants
for the same period of time.  I decided to get somewhat serious about
growing plants for a change.  I've been lurking for the past month or so

and have learned a lot - quite the active group!  Anyways........  I
have a 120 gal tank (2X2X4') that I have been starting to set up with an

attempt to grow plants but at the same time I would love to put some ( 4

or so)  Altum Angles, add some of  my gold nugget & zebra  plecos or
instead some Discus.  As a result I have
started pulling the tank in what I'm afraid is two different directions
at once:

For the fish I have put together a good filtration system.  29 gallon
sump with bio balls feeding four marineland biowheel 30's on the back.
The water is pumped by a 1200 gal/hr pump (at 4' head = 700?) and makes
a nice flow over the top of the water by a spray bar across the back of
the tank.  Nice for the fish not so good for CO2?

For the plants I have purchased flourite gravel,  made my own under
gravel heater (with help from the Krib),  I'm toying with the idea of
CO2 and am not sure what I will do for lighting but it will be more than
ample.

So.... Am I asking for trouble with temps in the 80's, messy fish and
trying to grow plants at the same time on my first real plant tank?  Is
there any synergy in what I want to do or am I just making a compromise
tank?

Any thoughts on what would improve my approach are most welcome.

Thanks - Chris
cdwells at concentric_net