Paragon, plants and snails

I sent this a couple of days ago but it has not shown up in the archive?
Anyway....

-----------------------------------

I have a question for the kind APD group,

I have a 29g planted discus tank that has two 3-4" discus, 2 corys, 4-6
tetra and a bunch of MT snails.  Water is good, pH 6.5, 0 ammonia and
nitrites, < 10ppm nitrates, kH 3, gH 4, 3.6w/g of light, healthy, thriving,
oxygen bubbling plants, 50% water changes every 3-5 days, fed sparingly.  I
am sure one if not both discus have gill flukes. I am thinking of treating
for gill flukes using Aquatronics' PARAGON. Paragon contains:

"Dimethyl (2,2,2, -Triloro-1-Hydroxyethyl),Phosphonate, Nitrofurazone, NaCI,
Isoniazid, Neomycin and Kanamycin Sulfate"

The package indicates that if used as directed (1 tsp per 20g every other
day for 5 days, i.e. 3 treatments, then repeat in three days again if
necessary), is safe in community tanks and will not effect biological
filtration beds. I guess they are saying it will not upset the nitrification
process.

What about plants and snails?  Will this stuff kill off a bunch of plants
and snails in this tank and leave me with sky-rocketing ammonia levels!
Anyone use Paragon on planted discus tanks before??

I have another planted discuss tank that I can use to replenish this tank
with snails and plants etc... but I would rather not tear it down. It looks
great.  But one of my  poor discus has one gill clamped shut and they are
both breathing rapidly (like 120/sec/).

Thanks for your help.
Tom Brennan
brennans at ix_netcom.com