Re: Barclaya Longfolia flower stalks and seeds

>Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 15:05:41 -0500
>From: "Beard, Kelly" <KBeard at comdata_com>
>
>I have a monster Barclaya plant that is sending up two flower stalks, and
>the two printed references I have say that the flower stalks produce seed
>capable of germinating.  Has anyone ever done this?

Yes.

>Since the flower stays closed under water, at what time do you know that the
>seeds are ready to be harvested?

The plant is searching for the surface. The flower pods that stay under water
won't do much. It will keep sending up flowers until one finally makes it ot the
surface. The petals will spread on the surface and you'll see a so-so blue
flower.  When this happens, take a small paint brush, collect some pollen,
spread it around the flower while saying "bee-bee-bee-bee". It helps if you have
a friend in the background making buzzing sounds.

>How are the seeds planted?

We let nature take it's course. They eventually ripen, fall off and sink to the
bottom.

>How big are they?

Around 1/8" in size and sort of pyramid shaped. Like Aponogeton seeds if I
remember right.  Or maybe I'm thinking of Aponogeton seeds ...

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado
 Do you want to know how I did it?
  http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~aquaria/AquaticConcepts