Re: Jobes sticks and PO4

> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 16:15:30 -0500
> From: krandall at world_std.com
>
> Not being one to do a lot of measuring unless I'm having a problem, I
> haven't done any actual measuring after using the Jobe's sticks.  After
> having PO4 "leak" into the water column from DAI plant tablets, however,
> I know this is a potential problem.

It has become clear to me that I do not understand why people are using
Jobes sticks.  I *thought* that the point was to place nutrients,
especially phosphate, into the substrate where the rooted plants could get
at them but the algae could not.

If the sticks are being selected for low phosphate levels and if the
nutrients in the sticks are going to leach into the water column anyhow,
why use the sticks rather than the various water additives or plain old
K2SO4, KNO3, etc.?

Frank, (who was about to put some high phosphate sticks into his substrate
and thinks now that this might have been a terrible, terrible mistake...)
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir