Re: GE & Sylvania bulbs

> Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 08:34:20 -0600
> From: John_P_Bonin at DeluxeData_com
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #1114
>
> Due to a tight budget, I'm trying to set up lighting as cost effective as
> possible.  Rather than investing in PennPlax,or PowerGlos, or Tritons, I'd
> like to do this with GE, etc.  Does anyone have a tank set up with
> something like this that still yields a fair amount of success?  What are
> you using(cool white, full spectrum, daylight, etc)?  I have room for up to
> eight 30watt bulbs for a 125G tank.

I'm using four F40T12 40W, 48" bulbs on my 55-gallon tank:
GE Chroma 50
GE Plant & Aquarium
Sylvania Gro 'n Sho
Sylvania Cool White

The Chroma 50 has a nice color rendition, IMHO.  I'll be replacing the
Sylvanias with Chroma 50's in a few months.  Having a variety of bulbs
seems like a good idea, though, as the spectrum of a fluorescent bulb
is typically "spikey."

The bulbs are run with a pair of $6.99 tar-ballast shop lamps from Lowe's
hardware store.  I have enough light to grow Rotala macrandra--that's the
most light-demanding plant I have, as far as I know.

I've been keeping a log and putting up pictures every couple of weeks
on my web page.

> Also, what's the difference between daylight, natural, and full spectrum
> bulbs?

All of the above look white to me.  It's the wide spectrum lamps that
look pink/purple, and the cool white lamps that look green and yucky.

 John Pitney         pitney at uiuc_edu
 http://www.physics.uiuc.edu/~pitney