Re: PENNYWORT

> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 14:47:20 +0800
> From: Michael Cordero <taburnok at skyinet_net>
>
> CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON A PLANT CALLED PENNYWORT..
> just to describe its got a round leaf .. one per stem.. and a round
> meaty stem...

OK, I HEAR YOU! (Note: All caps is interpretted as yelling!)

Hydrocotyle leucocephala is known as "Brazilian Pennywort". It seems
to do well under most conditions but bright light and CO2 makes it a
very fast grower. It does well for us in both 76 F and 84 F tanks.

We like to plant one end and have it grow to the top then trail across
the surface. The bright green leaves make a great accent plant. Check
my web page for photos. It's in the middle of the Angelfish photo on
the the "Plants" page and the "Photo Album" page.

However, H. leucocephala has a thin stem and leaves around 1" in
diameter. We also have a larger variety called Hydrocotyle
ranunculoides with leaves about 2" in diameter and a thicker stem.
Besides the size, the H. leucocephala has a distinct notch on the
leaves where the petiole attaches.  In the H. ranunculoides, the edges
of the leaves by the petiole overlap.

Both plants will get clumps of roots where each petiole meets the
stem.  The H. ranunculoides gets huge clumps of roots!

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at fii_com)
Need Info?  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts.htm
* Last update: 10/21/97