Re: name that Echinodorus..

Dave W. wrote:
> One of dozens of small echinodorus has also sent up a floral stalk.
> What is the chance of positively identifying this species from its
> inflorescence? Do the flowers of the various swords differ much,
> one from the other?

Yes, you _need_ flowers, and sometimes fruits to identify most plants,
including Echinodorus species.  If you feel confident trying to key it out
yourself, leave the flower on the plant and gather references from the
library and try them out.  You will be measuring small parts of the
flower such as stigmas and ovaries.  If that is not a possibility, cut the
inflorescence and press it along with a representative leaf (between
newspaper and two boards or other stiff surface; lay something heavy on it
or tie tightly with rope/cords until the plant is dry).  This still won't
constitute a perfect specimen 'cause you won't have emersed leaves, but you
may be able to send it to someone at a local herbarium for identification.
Herbaria can be found in most Universities; I can help with this if you
tell me where you live.

> You may be interested to know that I have found a food that my SAEs
> prefer to Rotala wallichii. It's called Hydrotriche hottoniiflora.
> Add it to the list.

That is funny; don't tell my SAE's or they may put in a request for some.
(in all seriousness though, they do seem to eat some algae - I don't have
much and they need to eat all the time apparently, thus the supplementation
with my favorite fine-leaved plants

Roxanne Bittman

--
Please note new email address:
Roxanne Bittman, Botanist                    Natural Diversity Database