Re: Softened Water

     >As I understand it, a softener exchanges Ca and Mg ions for Na ions,
     >so the amount of Na added is equal to the amount of Ca and Mg that
     >you had to begin with.

     Actually, as Ca and Mg are divalent cations (they have a +2 charge),
     two monovalent Na cations (they have a +1 charge) are needed for
     exchange.  Thus, for every Ca or Mg ion removed, two Na ions are
     added.

     By weight, however, if a softener removes 100 ppm Mg, then it must
     release 189.2 ppm Na (Mg has a higher atomic weight than Na).  Removal
     of 100 ppm Ca releases 114.7 ppm Na.

     Kind regards,

     Mark