TAT laterite

Hi all,
I recently purchased some laterite from Thiel Aqua Tech and I was a bit
surprised at what I saw.  I noticed that on the package it said "mined in
the USA", instead of the tropics where I assumed it would be.  Also, the
"laterite" looked more like dirt than anything else, no red color or even a
dark color.  I noticed in the archives that a while ago, someone else had
this same occurence. But others said the Thiel laterite seemed to work just
fine.  Any ideas?  Is this "true" laterite?  Also, how might one go about
getting this "laterite" tested for iron content?  Thanks a lot!!