[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Copper as snail killer

     >Since copper is such a good snail eradicator, I was wondering
     >whether anyone has experimented using diluted solutions of say
     >CopperSafe as a plant dip, or even intoduced low levels of copper
     >directly into the aquarium.  I was thinking of trying the latter in
     >my existing systems.

     Introducing a snailicide into your aquarium may cause water quality
     problems--imagine what several grams of rotting snail carcasses will
     do to your ammonia levels.  I am willing to bet your snail population
     is bigger than you think, especially if you have Malaysian trumpet
     snails.

     I have one Botia striata in my 90 gallon, and he knocked my snail
     population down in one week.  They only get to about 4", and are a
     very busy, well-behaved fish.  I highly recommend them.

     Mark Fisher in sunny, 76 degree Austin TX