Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 16:09:02 -0600
From: JDAVIS at bio_tamu.edu
To: Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
Subject: alternative substrates...

I have used a mixture of porcelein clay and pure red iron oxide mixed with
gravel as the substrate in my two plant tanks and i have had pretty good
sucess with the cryptocorynes...the echinodorus don't seem to like it as
much though.  I also found that the water didn't cloud all the much...and
even when i work on the tank the cloudyness is gone within 10-20 minutes or
so.  I am thinking about adding the vermiculate on the next tank.

John Davis
Texas A&M University
College station Texas