[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V1 #201

Subject: Cabomba

> I used a commercial soil: earthworm castings. I also use Flouris
> I believe has the other micronutrients you mentioned. In that ta
> red Cabomba is growing but the green never successfully rooted.
> measure pH often but try to maintain 6.5-6.8 with very soft wate
> yeast CO2. You're right about it not liking +7pH! I also have a
> steady water flow from a powerhead which doesn't seem to bother

One thing I've noticed about Cabomba (and most of the other
"fluffy" plants as well) is that success is largely dependent on
the sourse of the plants. If you can find some being grown by
another hobbyist, in his aquaria, the plants do fine if they are
properly cared for.  OTOH, if you buy Cabomba at the pet store, it
has probably just been cut from a pond or canal outdoors in
Florida.  The change seems to be too much for it.

Personally, I have _never_ had Cabomba obtained from commercial
sources that adjusted well to aquarium life, while I have been
successful with plants received from other aquarists.

Interestingly, I've also had better luck with Cabomba I've
collected locally than with the stuff that's commercially
available. I think, at least in part, that this was because I was
careful to collect plants that were growing under fairly dense
shade at the edge of a pond.  They were probably already receiving
lighting similar to what we have in even our brighter aquariums!

------------------------------

Subject: Post-move phenomena

> I seem to have some questions.

> 1) Sagittaria.  We previously had some sagittaria (variety unkno
> corner, cowed by the burgeoning val into stasis.  Replanted it i
> tank with no val within 18 inches... formerly, this plant had le
> were at *most* 1/2-inch wide.  Since the move, it has been sploo
> reddish ribbons that are 1-1/4 inches wide!  Is this normal?  Is
> continue?  Did we have closet Giant Sagittaria?  Should I just s
> enjoy it?

Many people have observed that Sag and Val tend not to do equally
well in the same tank.  One will flourish while the other limps
along.  Whether this is a case of allelochemichals at work, or
whether it is simply that conditions favor one genus over the
other is unclear.

> 2) (roll a little Jaws music intro, then say to the tune of Pigs
> ...Blue Green Algae.  I think we have a nasty layer of BGA right
> first layer of gravel (the tank was moved Dec 30).  A couple of
> has observed a bubble emerging from the gravel.  I have seen a l
> discussion on here... but I can't remember - in this location &
> Should I Be Worried?  Perhaps Do Something?  If So, What?  ::Sob
> had this before.  Thread & brush, that's the extent of my experi

Many people find that cyanobacteria grows along the glass below
the surface of the gravel.  I wouldn't worry too much unless it
moves up out of the gravel.

----------------------------------

Subject:  Fluorescent Light Party Trick

Maybe you've all noticed this yourselves, but it was so neat I
thought I'd mention it.  I was coming home from a meeting the
other night where I'd picked up some new fluorescent tubes from a
friend.  It was a very cold very dry night.  All the lights were
off when I got home.

As I walked in the door carrying the bulbs, they lit up in my
gloved hands!  I almost dropped them I was so surprised!  It only
lasted a couple of seconds, then they flickered out.  I was able
to get them to glow again by rubbing them with my gloves, but they
didn't light up strongly again.  I had a nylon/down coat on, which
I suspect is where I got "charged".

I know, fun for the feeble minded, but I used to like to make
static electricity sparks off my long haired cat in the dark when
I was a kid too!<g>

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Assoc.
Boston, MA