[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Aquatic plants that plant themselves

> From: krombhol at felix_TECLink.Net (Paul Krombholz)
> Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 18:53:39 -0600
>
> I wonder how many other aquatic plants can plant themselves.  Has
> anybody else seen this happen?

Gosh, it seems like quite a few do that.  When sword plants send out
plant stalks, the plantlets will pull themselves down by the roots if
the stalk is anywhere near the gravel.

Our Rotala rotundifolia recently shot out a horizontal stem that
developed roots all along its length and planted itself.  Now there
are new vertical stems coming out of all the leaf nodes.

If Shinnersia rivularis "Mexican Oak Leaf" is left on its own for
awhile, the stem will start growing horizontally about 4" below the surface,
sending up vertical stems at each leaf node.  Roots will also start
down from each node and will plant themselves.

George in Sunny Northern Colorado Closer to Wyoming than Denver