[Prev][Next][Index]

A. Crispus flower spike

My A. crispus has put up three flower spikes over the last two months.
Although the plant seems healthy, I haven't had any seeds develop.  The
spike reaches the top of the water, then grows along the glass looking
for a place to get emersed, I assume.  The first spike, I let it stay
under the glass, and although it put out the white tip and looked like it
was trying to put out pollen, nothing I would call flowers ever
developed.  After a couple of weeks it died (the flower spike).  The
second one I let get out (my top covers the top of the tank pretty well)
with similar results.  The third is going now, and looks just like the first.

How do I get seeds?  Does the flower spike need to be in the light?  I
can let it stick out above the water, but then it will be above the
light, as well.  Should I lower the water and let the spike become
emersed beneath the glass?  Also, I am having some trouble figuring out
when to pollinate the flowers with a small paintbrush.  The end stage for
all of my flower spikes has been when the white tip develops a regular
pattern of rough places, which I think want to be flowers.  The rough
spots are about 2mm across and spaced at about 6mm, I would guess.

Thanks for any help.

Tom