[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Thread algae (Pithophora)

>Date: Sat, 21 Oct 95 08:39:35 EDT
>Subject: Thread algae (Pithophora)

>>What is the wisdom and experiences of the readers of this list? I seem to
remember using some species of barbs many years ago to munch on filamentous
algae. Are there fish which like to eat this stuff?<<

This is anecdotal (strictly forbidden, I know ;-) but one of our local fish
stores swears that Anostomus anostomus (or was it Abramites hypselonotus? A
headstander type, anyway...) will eat thread algae.  I cannot verify whether
this is true, or whether someone who works at that store has a freak fish in
their own tank & is falsely extrapolating.  FWIW. YMMV. DHMR. :-)

Anne Hull Seales
Santa Cruz CA