[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: bleach treatment

Dave Whittaker recently wrote:

>Used Paul Kromboltz bleach treatment on some cuttings of rotalla
>rotundifolia covered in beard algae. Seven minutes in the bath instead
>of two resulted in the eventual decay of all of the leaves, but the
>stems survived and the plants recovered. Six weeks have passed and
>there is only a bit of brown algae on the glass of their new home,
>probably from the unsterilized filter. Bleach works.

Thanks for the endorsement, but 7 minutes is a lot longer than I have ever
treated a plant.  For a plant like rotalla rotundifolia, I would probably
do two minutes.  R. rotundifolia, however, is a tough little plant, unlike
R. macandra, which really goes downhill fast once it is pulled up or cut.
The longest I have ever treated a plant was 4 1/2 minutes, and that was a
plant with a very thick stem.  If you really want to get rid of the hair
algae forever, you have to treat the tank that is going to be their new
home, also.