[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: micronutrient mix

Here is a micronutrient solution formula that I have been using.  I mixed
up a gallon of it once, and I will probably pass most of that on to my
daughter, if she is ever interested in growing plants.  The KCl is probably
not necessary because there is always enough chloride around.  Cobalt is
not in this mix because plants are not known to need it, only nitrogen
fixing organisms need cobalt, and animals that need vitamin B12, which
contains cobalt.

I use this mix at 4 cc per gallon, and I have had plenty of evidence that,
if I don't use it, I get deficiency symptoms and retarded growth.  The
symptoms are retarded meristematic growth resulting in small, distorted
leaves and short stubby roots.  Severe deficiency results in meristematic
death of both roots and leaves.  I have seen these symptoms on a number of
occasions using topsoil and tapwater, and they look like boron deficiency
symptoms to me, but I have not yet found the time to set up an experiment
to prove it.

Salt                             mg/L     Salt                  Mg/L
KCl (provides chloride ion)     3728    ZnSO4.7H2O               575
H3BO3                           1546    CuSO4.5H2O               125
MnSO4.H2O                       845     (NH4)6MO7O24.4H2O        18.4