[Prev][Next][Index]

Activated carbon and chloramines.

>Will filtering the water slowly through activated carbon help
>against chloramines?

I live in a city that uses chloramines and employ a water-change mechanism that
filters my water through carbon before it goes into the tank.  So far, I have
had no negative results with this method (other than my dog watering one of the
filters once).  I have been warned that I may be stripping the chlorine and
ammonia apart and delivering ammonia to my tank.  Since my plants usually go
nuts after a water change, I can see this as a possibility.  My fish seem to
enjoy water changes too however, so I don't think it's much to worry about in
my case.

This isn't meant to directly answer the question, but rather to indicate that
in at least my situation, filtering through activated carbon works just fine.

David W. Webb
Enterprise Computing Provisioning
Texas Instruments Inc.
(214) 575-3443 (voice)		MSGID:		DAWB
(214) 575-4853 (fax)			Internet:	dwebb at ti_com
(214) 581-2380 (pager)		Text Pager:	pgr at msg_ti.com Subj:PAGE:David
Webb