Want to create an aquatic-plant newsgroup?
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: Want to create an aquatic-plant newsgroup?
From: "shaji (s.) bhaskar" <bhaskar at bnr_ca>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 08:27:00 -0400
X400-Content-Type: P2-1984 (2)
X400-Received: by mta bnr.ca in /PRMD=BNR/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/C=CA/; Relayed; Tue, 9 May 1995 08:29:42 -0400
X400-Received: by /PRMD=BNR/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/C=CA/; Relayed; Tue, 9 May 1995 08:29:28 -0400
X400-Received: by /PRMD=BNR/ADMD=TELECOM.CANADA/C=CA/; Relayed; Tue, 9 May 1995 08:27:00 -0400
I believe a Request for Discussion (RFD) will be issued soon for a
reorganization of Usenet newsgroup rec.aquaria. For those who are not
familiar with the ways of Usenet, the RFD is the first step in the
re-organization process. After a discussion period, a Call for Votes
(CFV) will be issued. The whole process takes about three months.
What do you think about converting the mailing list into a regular
newsgroup called rec.aquaria.plants? We currently have almost 200
subscribers, and if build a consensus and vote in significant numbers,
we can pretty much decide the outcome of any vote on rec.aquaria.plants.
I am all for a new newsgroup, because:
1. I won't have the chore of administering the mailing list any more
(got to get back to my real job :-))
2. A newsgroup has a much wider audience than a mailing list
3. A newsgroup does not depend on any single person (me) or a single site
4. People would have a single medium for discussion of aquatic plants
that combines both the current mailing list and the plant-related
postings on *.aquaria
5. Newsreaders are more user-friendly than email
The down side:
1. People who have email, but no access to news, might not be able to
2. You will see some MAKE.MONEY.FAST scams :-)
Well, what do you think?