[Prev][Next][Index]

Erythomycin and blue-green algae

Hi all,

I've had a slight blue-green algae problem for about a month now, with
the algae growing in the front of the tank on some exposed gravel.
Previously, I just siphoned it off every few days, it wasn't really a
problem.  I finally got sick of doing this, and decided to try treating
the tank with Erythomycin, an antibiotic.  I was apprehensive about this,
mainly because of a large population of seemingly sensitive cryptocoryne
species.  I was worried about a mass meltdown.  I treated the tank with
Maracyn, at 1/2 the reccomended dosage.  This treatment (3 tablets/day
for 5 days in a 75 gallon tank) has rid the tank of blue green algae with
no harmful side effects (in other words, none of my plants died).

Anyway, just FYI, this stuff does work, and it won't kill sensitive
plants.  The Maracyn 24 tablet pack does contain Erytomycin, where as the
smaller pack (if I remember correctly) contained some other antibiotic.
No idea if it's compatible.

Peter

Peter Konshak
pkonshak at fiat_gslis.utexas.edu