Re: [APD] Wiki

I believe REDRAGON40 at aol_com wrote this email section below:
> Steven writes:
>
> First, I  am not going to edit a Wiki.
> Pardon my ignorance, but what is a Wiki?

A Wiki is a web site that as well as allowing you to view its
contents, you can also correct it if you see a mistake on the page.

You don't need to be as webmaster to do it or email the person.
It's that easy.
You can also add information if you find the site is missing something.

See Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/
I use this many times a day. It gives you info on just about anything.
Why not try looking up 'Carol' or is it 'Steven'? ;-)

It also has a Wiki people, Dictionary and Wiki News service.
(A member of my family had to get a lung transplant over Xmas, so I used
Wikipedia to find out what was involved. Wikipedia is enormous.)

Brian and I created the AquariumWiki Encyclopaedia last year.
http://theaquariumwiki.com/
We used a Wiki so that the world can get a centralised site offering
comprehensive information on this hobby built by hobbyists.

Anyone who has personal knowledge of a subject can easily publish it
without having to own a web site or be a Internet expert.

Whilst Encyclopaedias tend to be limiting, our site doesn't have to have
limits. Already people are listing their local fish shops, clubs, societies,
organisations and stores for example.

We've got a nice glossary developing and fish profiles are building.
We plan to get onto all major aquarium companies PR lists in 2007 and so
perhaps we'll have a News section.

So any budding writer reading this can give it a go.
Or you can simply correct a minor spelling error.

One nice touch I like, is adding the site's search engine to your web browser.
So that if you are reading an article on one page, you can type in the
unknown technical word and instantly get an answer.
So all these GDA, KH2PO4, PMDD and BBS acronyms will no longer remain a mystery.
:-)

Hope this answers your question.

--
Stuart Halliday