> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 6:31:04 -0700
> From: <daphne_freeman at charter.net>
> Subject: [APD] EI approach with liquids
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com

> Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried the EI approach
> utilizing liquids versus dry chemicals?

Quite a few do.

> With the exception of Seachem's Alkaline Buffer and
> Equilibrium, all my additives (Flourish, potassium, iron,
> nitrogen, Excel) are liquid.  At some point, I intend to dose
> automatically via peristaltic pumps.  The pumps have only been
> sitting in the basement for about 2 years beside my automatic
> water changing stuff...

I just take what I'd normally add for a week(or 2,3,4 etc), toss
it in there, and then set the pumps to dose a bit more or
whatever is easiest to set with the pump, top off the rest with
DI water.

Say the pump doses a set 50mls in 10 min.

That's 7 x 50 = 350mls a week

2 week's worth: 700mls

Fert volume added manually over the sAme time frame: 600mls.
Add another 100mls DI water and you are done.
Mix the Macro's together anfr the micro's seperately.

> Can you overdose phosphate?

Never seen it happen yet.
5-10ppm etc
No issues.
Maybe more plant growth, less GSA.........
If you have issues related/correlated, it's almost always the
CO2, not the PO4.

  Twice a year, phosphate is added
> to our water supply.  Currently, I don' t dose phosphate but
> the EI approach utilizes it.  I understand it is to balance
> with the nitrogen but I don't want to end up with hostile or
> dead discus.

PO4 nor NO3 will do any such non sense.
Some clowns claim high CO2 causes their discus to turn dark.

That's patently wrong.

NH4, low O2, that will cause discus problems.
I've messed with this in the past had much higher levels of
CO2/NO3 than any Discus zealot and several client's proved this
to themselves recently.

Same with NO3, at 20-30ppm.

Plant tanks and properly set up systems do not have such issues,
if you do, talk about it and I can have it corrected for you.

Generally, not enough surface movement/low O2 and not enough
exchange and combining poor plant growth due to limitations=>
less O2 production.........

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com