[APD] Low O2

    >Same phenomenon here : too many plants depletes O2 during the night.
>I had to increase air bubbling...
>Philippe

  No no no!
  You folks have this entirely wrong, plants have extremely low respiration rates, they are not depelting the O2, fish and bacteria can and do..........but the reason plant people have trouble with low O2 in the early AM prior to the lights coming on has a GREAT DEAL to do with your surface movement.

  If you have good pearling during the day, and relatively reasonable bioload, you should not dip below roughly 90%, my tanks have been at 95% to 100% by morning. I have high O2 most of the 24 hour peroid, perhaps 4-6 hours are lower.
  You will never have low O2 levels with a wet/dry also.

  So poor plant growth can cause a decline in the O2(via a decline in production of O2), but also too little surface movement.

  You can easily adjust the spray bars, and other flow equipment.

  Plants can and do store O2 in their aeryhenchma and vacuoles.
  Generally this is enough to supply the nighttime requirements alone.

  Your fish will die long before the plants are limited in terms of O2. O2 is a critical electron acceptor in wetlands, the measurements of O2 during the day/night cycles have been studied well.

  Try having some decent surface movement and you will stop stressing the fish with low O2.

  I also do not suggest adding CO2 at night, pH controllers can be shut off at night by simply plugging them into the lighting timer.

  Regards,
  Tom Barr

  www.BarrReport.com