[APD] Re: Aquarium plants Reference book

James said:

"That's crap! Kasselmann's book includes full details of aquarium
cultivation  for the plants she covers. And the photos are NOT small and
allow for easy identification of the various species."

I reply:

I respectfully disagree.  The typical photo is two inches by three inches or
three inches by five inches, and many are taken at a distance of several
feet, not close enough to show the details that are needed for
identification.  A fair number are of emersed forms, unlikely to be seen by
most aquarists.

The Tropica site is far more useful for identifying common aquatic plants,
at least the 150 or so that appear there.

About 80 percent of the 500 page book is taken up with these pictures and
descriptions.  The balance consists of chapters on such topics as "Aquatic
and Marsh Plants in Their Natural Habitats," "Flower Morphology," and
"Flower Biology."  There are two chapters on propagation, "Sexual
Propagation. . ." and "Vegetative Propagation."   Factors that influence
cultivation in aquaria - temperature, light, substrate, and water - are
discussed in 16 pages of text and pictures.

The book does not include "full details of aquarium cultivation of the
plants she covers."  Far from it.  In fact, the author describes many of
those plants as being unsuitable for aquaria.   Where cultivation is
described, it is often of the "see such-and-such" variety, which is OK.
When it is given, it usually about the same information that Tropica
provides, with perhaps more words.

Now, having said all that, I am glad that I bought the book, even at its
high price.  I've read and reread it.  But it is not a book for a person who
is seeking to get started in the hobby, and IMHO it is a disservice to
recommend it to such a person.  But others might disagree, and that's good
too.

Even saints are not above criticism, you know.

Bill