[APD] Re: Nutrient Dosing

This has been pretty much my approach since I started water testing again in the quest for more stable tanks. I have moved from the original PMDD recipe to adding Fe/trace elements separately from the macros, and adding the macros as indicated by the NO3 and PO4 water tests, with K assumed at 10-20 ppm.

Two questions:

1) With relatively hard water (gH = 14), do I need to add MgSO4 (epsom salts) to my Fe/trace elements mix, or can I assume that there will be sufficient magnesium carried in the water?

2) My newly planted H. difformis has white veins and rather spindly new growth. The new leaves also don't have the deeply cut ridges characteristic of this plant. I'm assuming Fe deficiency here, since the iron was nearly undetectable when the plants first went in. Current iron levels are at 0.1 ppm.

William