Re: [APD] Re: Setting up the Co2 for my tank - thoughts appreciated.

You will probably get more efficient use of CO2 with a
reactor or feeding the CO2 into a canister. If you already
have a canister, then that's the route to go next since it
involves no further purchase.

IF you are going to get a canister partly as a means to
feed water to a reactor, then try jsut feeding CO2 into the
canister first. If that suits you, then you needn't bother
with a reactor.

The basic design of a reactor is relatively simple and
certainly something that can be constructed as a diy
project if you are compfortable working with PVC. A very
good design for a diy canister can be found here, using
parts you should be able to find for few bucks at msot
hardware or plumbing supply stores:

http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/co2reactor.htm

The ebay design you cite appears to use nonrigid tubing for
the main cylinder, which should not matter and has a
clean-out fitting, which also should not matter. You can
clean a reactor by half-filling it with water, shaking,
then flushing with tap water.

Can't speak for "eheim" knock off filters. Looking like an
Eheim doesn't attest to the quality of design or parts. The
Via Aqua canisters have been reported to be reliable and
are much cheaper than Eheims. The Filstar canisters are
reliable and also much cheaper than Eheims.

Scott H.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20758&item=4320367183&rd=1

> Some things that are important to me in regards to
> what I do next are:
> 1)  This is very close to my bed.  Rattles, bubbling
> noises, whooshes, sounds of any sort, including water
> sounds, would be disturbing to me.
> 2)  The less added in the tank by way of equipment,
> the better.  I have lots of air space so it is hard to
> really hide stuff.  If I had unlimited funds, I'd get
> a canister with heater included and pressurized Co2 so
> there'd be almost nothing in my tank, which brings us
> to...
> 3)  Cost.
>
> Besides the reactor on Ebay (approx. $30 with
> shipping), there's also an Eheim 2026 clone being sold
> (approx. $50.00) that takes all the Eheim media.
> Anyone have any experience with either of these?
>
> I'm not a newbie (although I may sound like it!!!) but
> have suffered for years from lack of proper equipment.
>  My plants have always done ok, but I've been very
> limited but I'm now in a position to start building my
> dream tank, slowly but surely.  I've already gone to
> 100% Flourite base and added CF's with good wattage.
> I can do a little more now and then a little more at
> Xmas.
>
> I know some of you make and/or sell some of these
> things.  I'm really open to anyone's ideas and
> suggestions that keep in mind the three things that
> matter most above.  This list has been incredibly
> helpful and iformative and I enjoy reading the
> archives as well.  Thanks to all of you for be so
> giving of your time and knowledge to all of us!
>
> Valerie

=====
Want to get dirty but stay clean?

Diana Walstad, author of _Ecology of the Planted Aquarium_ will discuss soil supplemented aquarium substrates at the 2004 AGA Convention.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org