Re: [APD] RE: CO2 Saturation

I'll help cover the rest of 'the page.'

I recently built and posted about a reactor, and so far I think I have a
faulty design of which no one is to blame. :-(  The design is pretty simple,
merely the original gravel vac tube from my python filter, some 90 degree
pvc fittings and other misc. parts plus a handful of bio balls.  Ok, not a
faulty design, maybe my pump is just too strong?  I have a 750gph sump pump
pushing up 1', where it then goes thru a 90 degree then down the gravel tube
filled with bio balls (the 90 degree fittings are filled as well).  At the
bottom there is one 90 degree pvc to a few reducing fittings then back up
again about 2.5' to the bulkhead where it goes up another 2' to the nozzle
in the aquarium.  I'd say it pumps far less then 500gph with this head.
I've been steadily increasing bubble rates, and am now at about 3
bubbles/second.  The dissolved CO2 in my tank barely reaches over 15ppm by
morning just before the lights turn on, and is below 7ppm at night just
before lights out.  I noticed depending on where I put the CO2 it has the
possibility of being pumped into the tank about 1/3 bubble size or so,
floating to the top and POP, there goes the CO2.  I'm worried if I put the
CO2 line at the bottom of the reactor to follow the proper design the bubble
will simply be pushed out (and rather easily) the reactor and into the tank,
plus it's going to take some drilling/sealing to get that done.  I
originally had a tap in the nylon return tubing before the reactor, that
didn't work well at all, bubbles just went into the tank.  I then thought
perhaps if the bubbles were smaller they'd have more time in the reactor, so
I then put the line back near the pump impeller where I had it before the
reactor.  This resulted in a fine mist much like before, only the CO2 levels
were slightly higher.  I wonder if with this design I'll ever be able to
achieve the rates (~30ppm) Tom has suggested to me...any ideas?

90G all-glass w/overflow, glass canopy, two Custom Sea Smart Lamps, 48",
2x2x65W, home made wed/dry filter (5G bio balls), home made reactor, pmdd
~5mls/day, KH 4, GH 4, pH from ~6.8-7.2 :-(

Also, pearling.  I know it's something people look for, but I just have
plain never seen it unless I'm doing a water change (aerated water).  Could
there be something else I'm missing?  Perhaps it's related to the
lower-then-standard CO2 levels?

Thanks,
Dave