[APD] Re: Ich Debate

Twice in the last two decades fish in my well planted 29 have developed Ich.
In each case the tank had no additions of plants, fish, or snails for at
least several months  (I rarely have the need to buy new stuff.)   Each infection
was caused by a heater failure and each was cured with minimal losses by
raising the temperature to the mid-90's for several days.

I had always believed the conventional wisdom that Ich was always present in
an aquarium, like other pathogens, waiting for the opportune moment to strike.
  Now I don't know if that is true or not.  I guess it could be tested
experimentally.  But unless Ich floats in the air, in the two cases I cited, nothing
new brought the parasite into that aquarium.

Bill