[APD] Re: The why of the Tom Barr Method

Hi all,
I have a couple of questions on the Barr method. I
don't really understand why plants are at an advantage
to algae when it comes to nutrient uptake. I guess
what I am really asking is: If we dose phosphate along
with nitrate and other nutrients, why won't algae
compete equally well with or better than plants for
the nutrients?
Also, it was mentioned that the reason algae did not
grow all over plants in nature might be due to
allelopathy. I was under the impression that water in
nature had zero quantites of phosphate and very, very
low levels of nitrate. I thought this was the reason
algae doesn't grow all over aquatic plants. Thanks,
AK