Re: [APD] substrate fertility and growth rates

I have had the same success with Marble Queens.  After
taking them out of my 150 -- too big -- I saved a couple
plantlets in a 15 g with low light and only fish food and
traces.  It's not the colorful "lady" it once was, but at
least "she" is now behaving quietly without trying to run
all over the aquarium. In fact, the plant grows only a bit
faster than anubias are wont to do.

Scott H.
--- Roger Miller <roger at spinn_net> wrote:

> I may have never come across a better example where
> bigger is *not* better.
> What are you supposed to do with a 28" C. blassii?  The
> same thing could be
> said for various large Echinodorus and Aponogetons that
> get huge when grown
> in a rich substrate.
>
> I grow some big indoor plants -- Ficus benjamina,
> Dieffenbachia maculata,
> Araucarla heterophylla for instance -- and bigger plants
> outdoors.  If a big
> plant is what you want then why would you ever grow it in
> an aquarium?  I
> like the idea that by avoiding deep, fertile substrates I
> can grow C. blassii
> et al in good health and keep them at a reasonable size.
>

> Roger Miller

=====
S. Hieber