[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 3, Issue 24

At 12:02 PM 11/19/2003 -0500, Rachel Sandage wrote:

This made me wonder, what was the NO3 level while the fry were in there? Is it possible that the problem was not excess nutrients caused by heavy bioload, but rather nutrient limitation caused by a lack of N?

Nitrate level was a consistent 5-10 ppm. This required dosing 1/2 tsp KNO3 2x weekly while the fry were in there, and 1 tsp 2x weekly now that they are gone. So it wasn't lack of NO3. The only tests I do any more are pH for the CO2 level and NO3.

The tank is progressing rapidly through different algae now. Once the blue green (cyanobacteria) decreased, big tufts of cotton-candy green arrived. I scooped out a bunch of this and fed it to the ancistrus fry-they liked it so much, they ignored peas for a day! It has now begun to wane, and some green thread is showing, but not much. Ambulia, rotala and hygro are exploding.