[APD] Re: Closing up for the night - or Nyctinasty

>. That is called Nyctinasty ( a rythmic diurnal movement).

Interesting.  What triggers this cycle if it's not light?   I know that in animals various glands or parts of the brain control these rhythms.  A couple weeks ago, I heard an NPR story that told of recent discoveries in animals that in addition to these, each organ has its own 'clock', though they didn't go into what controls it, or even what that 'clock' is.  I assume there must be some biochemical change in the plant that causes the leaves to fold up - do we even know what triggers it or what the actual chemical change is?

Next time I hear a plant described as a 'primitive' form of life, I'll think twice :-)

Terry in Arizona