Name that plant

Tom,
I haven't seen a Potamogeton that mimics an Elocharis. The various
potamogeton sp that I've seen all have white or off white stems and paired
or alternately paired leaves. The location is not close to the sea, not
affected by any tidal forces and is on a tributary of Ara River (Arakawa).

Some additional info that may help with identification: The plant is
rooted, grows in dense mats, under low light conditions, it may become a cm
or 2 longer and will in emmersed growth produce small flowers similar to a
typical elocharis.

I hope that is helpful.

If you have any URL's for pictures of Ruppia or Chara that would be much
appreciated.

Might not be a hairgrass at all, might be a Potamogeton (my guess) or a
Ruppia if it's somewhat close to the sea. Chara sometimes will fool people
into thinking it's a grass.

BTW all you people who have asked me for some, I'm willing to work a trade
for native US plants or for bulbs of aponogeton sp.

Edward Venn,
SMG Holdings Co., Ltd.,
Deux Chateaux Blanc 2-303,
1356 Kobuchi, Kasukabe,