Re: co2 reactor via canister filter

It's perfect timing that this topic came up, as I recently have been
wondering about it.  And just about every question I had about it has
been asked.  Go go gadget APD!  :)

But, I do want to follow-up a bit.  I have a DIY co2 setup that
generates about 1.5 bubbles per second, and I run the co2 output hose
directly into the intake grating of my Eheim 2128.  It seems to work
great, and I'm getting far more co2 dissolved into the water than with
my previous attempt at a DIY in-tank reactor.  (Based on pH and KH
measurements, and the fact that the plants are pearling like crazy and
growing much more with the direct-intake method.)  The filter seems to
have no problems at all handling it.  And best of all, it didn't cost me
anything and was extremely easy to hook up.

I mentioned this to the guy at my LFS, and he gave me the bit about it
possibly killing the bacteria in my biomedia.  But based on what's been
mentioned in this thread recently, it seems that the amount of water
flowing through the filter should more than make up for the small amount
of co2 going in, thus the bacteria in the biomedia should have enough
oxygen to be fine.  Additionally, since I have an Eheim 2128, which has
a large amount of biomedia, it seems it would be difficult to kill off
all the bacteria.

So my question is, does all this seem reasonable?  Does it seem that,
with my current setup, I have anything to fear from injecting the co2
straight into the filter intake?  So far all seems to be doing well.
-joe