RE wet/dry filter and nitrate use by plants

(snip)
To: <A HREF="mailto:Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com";>Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com</A>
Subject: Nitrate use by aquatic plants (again)
From: <A HREF="mailto:krandall at world_std.com";>krandall at world_std.com</A>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 1999 08:52:37 -0400 Gerry Skau wrote:>        But my
question is-from time to time I have seen statements that>aquarium plants
won't utilize nitrates, that they will only utilize>various forms of ammonia.
Can anyone say definitively that aquatic plants>will use nitrate? The only
way to keep it under control in my tanks seems>to be water changes, even in
my heavily planted tanks. I guess the>definitive experiment would be to set
up a tank with X ammount of>nitrates, no fish or water changes, and then
measure to see if they>disappear. I can definitively tell you that aquatic
plants DO use nitrate.  Anyone whosays otherwise has not done their homework.
 It _is_ true that plants willpreferentially use ammonium, but if there is
not enough the plants willhappily turn to nitrate to meet thier nitrogen
needs.  If your plants are not preventing nitrate buildup in your tank, it
isbecause their mass and growthrate is not adequate to keep up with the
inputfrom bioload and feeding or improper fertilization. (or water changes
ifthere are high levels of nitrate in the tap water)Karen
(snip)

Hi gang,
To everyone that posted after my comment about the bacteria in a biowheel
outcompeting plants for ammonia, please read this quote by esteemed author
Karen Randall. Also note that nowhere in my post did I state that plants
would not use nitrate.

Plants using ammonia in the first place instead of nitrate would avoid some
end nitrate buildup by bacteria as an additional benefit, if this is a
concern.
Dave

multipart/alternative
  text/html