Re: cycling a plant tank

I have never waited to add fish to a moderately-heavily planted tank.

Recent experience: I have had a 125 gallon tank set up heavily planted, CO2,
intense light, etc for 2-3 years. It is filtered by an Eheim 2217 and 2028
Pro II. Last time I serviced the filters I noticed I still had about 1/2 the
recommended amount of biomedia in each filter. I decided to make it about 1/2
cup in each filter, instead of the 1-2 liters that was in each. I bought a
SeaChem ammonia alert disk just in case there was an ammonia spike. Pulled
all the biomedia out and there was never a bit of ammonia with a moderate
fish load in the tank. It had to go somewhere. I guess the plants ate it up.
Dave

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---