Re: Aaargh...white haze is returning!

> Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 09:17:11 -0400
> From: "Kinney, Travis" <kinney at pdtarchs_com>
> Subject: Aaargh...white haze is returning!
>
> After using a friends UV filter for three days, my tank water was crystal
> clear. For a couple weeks now things have been growing great. Been using
> PMDD, lots of perling, fish happy, kids happy, dad happy. But, the water is
> starting to haze up again!

Just to add in a morsel from my own experience: when I lived in Seattle,
sometimes water would come out of my tap with a white cloudy haze.  I
contacted the water company several times, but I was never able to extract a
satisfactory response.  My guess is that it was due to bacterial blooms in
the reservoir.  (Hopefully they were dead by the time they hit my water
glass, but I always filtered my water just to be on the safe side.)  I guess
their PR department had standing orders that no representative would
actually admit this, and I can kind of see their point.

So it might be a bacterial bloom that ISN'T your fault.  To check this
possibility, do a massive water change (75%) and if the water is still just
as hazy the very minute after you change your water, then it's probably from
the tap.  (Yum!)  It will eventually clear up within a few days or weeks.

If a big change clears the water, but only for a few minutes or hours, then
the problem lies within your aquarium.

 - Erika