[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: KH measurements - what units?

Hello Joe,

There are two systems of units in common use:

The older German system measures both hardness (GH) and alkalinity (KH)
in "degrees" and the newer, more scientific system that measures the
same parameters in milligrams per liter (mg/L).

The conversion factor is 17.8, i.e. you divide mg/L by 17.8 to get the
(German) degrees.



> Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 19:31:53 -0700
> From: Joe Reiter <jreiter at bigfoot_com>
> Subject: KH measurements - what units?
> My KH/GH test kit measures (if I recall) mg/L of KH.  This means that I
> get results of numbers like 60.  However, it seems that everything I
> read refers to a KH of single digit numbers, like 6.  What is this
> number, and can I convert my mg/L readings into this?  (for handy uses
> such as finding the CO2 concentration based on KH and pH... all the
> charts seem to use the single digit KH measurement)
> - -joe