Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #106

In a message dated 5/21/02 3:04:11 AM Central Daylight Time,

> It seems to me that you would have to be running a -lot- of bubbles into a
> canister filter to air-lock it with CO2. I have the 2028 filter and have
> never had a problem. How much CO2 are you pushing through it? Bubbles in
> water may make noise, but they can't damage anything, that's silly. If a
> temporary filter stoppage causes fish deaths then the tank is overstocked
> begin with, IMO.

Well, I have a 180 gallon tank and was probably doing 2-3 bubbles per second.
 I don't know if it silly or not that the bubbles could cause damage, I know
it does not sound good and I have read several places that it could be
damaging.  My tank was not overstocked, and the same type of incident
happened twice.  I have a hard time understanding why it happened, I have
heard several theories but do not know enough chemistry/biology to say.  I
would never introduce CO2 that way again, but hey, that is just me.  Go for
it if you like the method.  It was not too long ago that CO2 "dumps" and the
danger of same were argued, and needle valves were said to be the answer.

Don

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---