Re: catching fast fish

> Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 10:42:18 -0700
> From: Ed Dumas <a4a48835 at telus_net>
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V5 #88
>
> Joe Reiter asked:
>
> > Can anyone recommend a good way to catch these troublemakers [Chinese
Algae Eaters] that doesn't
> > involve emptying out the tank?  Would a fish trap be useful?  If so,
what
> > bait could I put in the fish trap that would most successfully catch
these
> > guys?
>
> I had to catch some as well after I found out how agressive they can be
> to others. I used a fish trap at night with algae tablets as bait. Make
> sure you put plenty of holes in the trap for water circulation, though,
> or the fish will be dead in the morning.
> Ed Dumas

Thanks for the info.  I went to my LFS today and it turns out one of the
employees has a fish trap, which he loaned me along with a bag of algae
tablets.  However, this trap is manually operated!  (doh!)  It's simply got
a gravity operated sliding door, which you basically just hold up with a
long piece of fishing line which runs out of the tank.  So I need to put it
in the tank while the suckers are active (with an algae table in the back)
and just wait with my hand on the wire.  Oh boy!  :)

The only trick is that all my other fish really seem to like that tablet
too, so I'm always sliding the door closed to keep them out.  :)  (Ottos,
shrimp, etc.)
-joe