Re: Microsword Upheaval

Don M wrote:
"Brazilian Microsword according to Kaspar Horst has the tendency to uprootand
"seek the light" under inadequate lighting conditions. In other wordsthe
roots let go and it floats to the surface. I suspect the snail and Plecoare
simply speeding up the process. Under adequate light it is tough to pullthem
out of the substrate if you try. I have microsword that have roots twoinches
long. I use more laterite in the front where they grow. While Iunderstand
that increasing lighting is sometimes very impractical for one, Iguess that
would be the route I would take rather than mechanical means tokeep them
down. However, the pottery clay sounds like it might work. If youtry it let
us know the result. "

      In reply, let me say that while my tank is low light, I don't think the
Microswords are ejecting themselves from the substrate for want of light- the
area that seems to be the most problematic actually receives more light than
another area where they seem to be doing ok. Since my first post, and 'bright
idea' about using pottery clay for anchors, I haven't yet had a chance to go
get any- I have to go right downtown ( none of the little places around here
stock any, because the smallest quantity you can buy is 25lb- I guess I will
have a bit left over if I get the urge to 'throw' some pots ). Hoping
tomorrow I will get a chance to get there. I also plan to try the other two
suggestions- 'tarping' the Microsword under weighted down netting and using
scotch brite pads. I will post the results once I know what happens and which
method works best. Thank you all for your help and advice.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---