[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Diatom mats
- To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
- Subject: Re: Diatom mats
- From: Thomas Barr <tcbiii at earthlink_net>
- Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:54:29 -0800
- In-Reply-To: <200203262048.g2QKm1c16189 at acme_actwin.com>
- User-Agent: Microsoft-Outlook-Express-Macintosh-Edition/5.02.2022
> Subject: Re: diatom mats/grey slime
> I was under the impression that diatoms only showed up
> under poor lighting.
No. They can form thick mats in Eutrophic waters in nature all the time.
It's rarer in aquariums(less nutrients for them typically).
Most folks walking near water in the summer have likely seen these growing.
Unsightly and considered nuisances by governmental water quality folks.
The Malibu Creek water shed is being monitored and studied to determine the
sources of nutrients and it's effects and how to clean the water shed up to
make it better quality than the standards mandated by the state of CA. These
mats are common in the water shed.