Re: Glass Scratches

Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:19:21 -0500
From: Neil Frank <aquarian.subjects at mindspring_com>
Subject: Re: Glass Scratches

> I know the move. Last week, I did one of my infrequent glass cleanings,
and
> discovered a big NO-NO in glass cleaning. DONT USE A RUSTY
> RAZOR BLADE. I even heard the scratch!!
<snip>

Although I didn't mention it on the web page I put together about Glass
Scratches,
www.fitchfamily.com/glass.html, I stopped using a steel razor blade the
first time I read about the dangers here on the APD.  I switched to a
plastic razor blade (which I did mention), available at auto body supply
centers.  Even though I bought a half dozen about a year ago, I'm still
using the first one, because I can't see any deterioration in its ability to
remove algae.  If it's green spot algae, I often do have to scrape at a spot
several times to get it off, but that effort is a small price to pay for the
peace of mind in knowing that I'm not going to scratch the glass.

John T. Fitch
E-mail: jtfitch at spamcop_net
Web Site: www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html