Re: AH Supply -- Fans, noise, and mounting

Ivo Busko said:
< Months ago I bougth from them (AH Supply) a small AC fan (2"
> diam.
> as far as I recall). Complete with fan guard, dust filter and
> mounting screws,
> I think I paid around $24 for it. They are not advertised at their
> web site,
> I spoke with Kim directly. The fan turned out to be very good indeed,
> low
> flow rate but *extremely* quiet, which was the feature I was looking
> for.
> I don't know it's specs though.
>
> I ended up not using it in my DIY strip light not because of the fan
> itself,
> but because I was unable to mount it on the strip's wood frame in a
> way that
> prevented it to hum annoyingly. The frame, not the fan. I tried
> everything
> I could to mechanically decouple it from the frame with no avail.
> Well, DIY
> has its drawbacks too.
[[[[I haven't used the AH Supply fans but the fans I ahve used I have
mounted directly with stainless steels screws
(http://www.mcmaster.com/) using rubber grommets between the fan and
hood or else without the grommets -- sometimes I can get away with this
-- sometimes not.   But I assume you tried this and still no luck.
What is you hood made of, if you don't mind my asking?]]]]]

> My current solution to the problem is to mount the fan remotely,
> coupling it
> to the strip light with a vacuum cleaner hose. This creates a lot of
> drag
> and decreases the flow rate by a large amount. So I replaced the
> small fan
> by a large (10" dia) Radio Shack AC fan enclosed in a soundproofing
> box that
> sits under the tank. The noise level dropped to an acceptable level
> and the
> flow rate is still OK, it keeps the insides of the strip light around
> 110 F
> (there are 4 55 Watt PCs in there).

[[[For the newbies, Ivo's operating temp is about ideal since 110
degrees F - 122 degrees F is reportedly the temp range within which PCs
operate best -- too cold and they aren't bright as they can be -- to
hot and they wear out too fast.  A remote fan is a pretty good idea.
It obviously gives you great flexibiltiy as to size and the larger the
fan is, the slower (and more quietly) it can turn and still move as
much air as a small fan.  90% of the air that a radial or tubeaxial fan
moves is at the blade tips.

Scott H.]]]]]