Re: Vallisneria in Australia

Hello Charlie,
the description suits some of our native vals, Vallisneria caulescens
when given good aquarium conditions can send out exceptionally long
leaves but when starved actually grows a stem and has very short
leaves.   Vallisneria nana from various locations across the Northern
Territory can match your description.   There is an Australian
Vallisneria genus revision by Surrey Jacobs in a publication called
"Telopia" put out by NSW Botanic Gardens.   Your local Herbarium
should have a copy.     Some of the Aquarium Societies in Melbourne
have plant groups with very experienced plant growers, perhaps you
should ask at your local aquarium shop for directions to one of these
Aquarium Societies and talk to the locals.

Cheers
Dave Wilson

The main plant had ten leaves, just over 3/8" wide and around 1/16"
thick, from six to eight and a half feet long.  It had sent out runners
and there were eight children, most with leaves three to four feet
long.  I left the two smallest in the tank and pruned them to 12".

Anyone care to guess at the type?  v. giganta springs to mind, but I
thought the leaves would be a lot broader and thicker?

Cheers
Charlie

Charlie Lear
Melbourne, Australia